Friday, August 18, 2017

Something Artistic You Like Doing

Good Morning FAU Bloggers!

Today I'll like you to write about something artistic you do. This could be anything: playing a music instrument, skateboarding, cooking, playing football, drawing Manga characters, making clothes, cutting hair, the list is endless. There is art in everything.
In my case, I think my most artistic expression is through music, and I often like to supplement it with altered images, especially time-lapse videos. I've been making music of one form or another since I was 13 or 14 when I started to play guitar. As soon as I could play 2 chords I wrote my first song. If I remember rightly it was just C and Em7 all the way through.
Nowadays I generally experiment with music. I like to cross genres and styles and I tend to work with a sampler and a keyboard most of the time. I occasionally add vocals or guitar (or both) to a song but not very often. I started messing about with video in about 2011 when I bought a macbook and had access to I-Movie. An ex-student of mine started running an experimental film class and I went along. I had a Flip video camera that was really mobile and user friendly. I started making wacky videos to go with some of my musical experiments. I guess quiet a few of them may seem extremely weird. For example, I have one almost 9-minute epic with an accompanying video of my cat's eyes) (Kat R.I.P). However, there are a couple I really like. For example, I recently created a video for a song I did with the band I played in as a teenager. I used some old live footage of the band and added some bits of "found footage." I thought the result was really good. In other videos I just play around with exposure & colour to get weird effects that complement the sounds. I doubt any of what I do will change the world but I get a kick out of doing it which is the main thing;)
This is the first video I did. The song is a sample of my sister-in-law plus a few other samples and some extra keyboards.

Plus something more recent:)



Write about something artistic you like to do.
Say:
What it is,
How long you've been doing it,
What it involves.
Why you enjoy it.
Mention anything else you think is important. Write at least 200 words. Leave a comment on my blog and on the blogs of at least 3 classmates.

19 comments:

  1. I think it´s very cool that you enjoy making videos and that it makes you happy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is amazing that you experiment with music and also make videos. I hope your artistic work will be spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Play the guitar is very fantastic but form a band is more fabulous. I hope that share with we your videos ! Regards

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy the second video, the mix between video and music is amazing, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well its awesome to know that you enjoy music!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your videos! I like so much the experimental videos becuse I enjoyd like complement the image and sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a fantastic work, it sounds really great, I hope you keep doing more!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Simon!

    Thank again for share this history, I can remember many situations significants for me some very funny. Without question you enjoy making music!

    See you soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really missed to read your post Mr. Simon, and I know you are a very musical teacher and is good to know something else about you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's really amazing you video!!!, i would like to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats great! I like the second video, its enjoyable how they dance and the musics sounds. I hope that you have more creations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that this is such a great experiment! I hope that you keep doing it, because it sounds!
    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are wonderful experiment I love the color the first video ! is very creative !

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's good hobby!
    I remember the last semester you show it:)
    I like that you enjoy with the music. Is so fantastic<3
    Regardsss XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! That's an interesting thing! Mixing videos and music its so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great videos!
    It´s so nice that you makes the things thats makes you happy
    I hope that you can creates more videos like these

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed the first video more than the second, but for experiments they look good! I'm not sure, but it reminded me about video games soundtracks, have you ever explore the industry?

    Also glad to read you keep playing!!

    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Regards Mr Simon! It's a very interesting works, I like how you mix the music and the images. I hope you continuos working in this area :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mr Simon, I consider It's a good experience that You could create your own band and could play music.
    Regard!!

    ReplyDelete