Friday, August 25, 2017

Free Post

Dear Fausters,

This week you have a free post. I'm going to write about a book I read recently called "The Book of Strange New Things" by Dutch author Michel Faber. It's described as Science Fiction but only because it's set in the future on an alien-inhabited planet. The story itself is about a Pastor who goes to the planet to spread the word of God. That may not sound that appealing or interesting, however, it's one of the most enjoyable books I've read recently and I tend to read a lot (20 - 30 novels a year).
My brother Colin recommended the book and I found it so entertaining that I finished it in less than a week. The story moves forward in 2 main ways, via the protagonists exchange of letters with his wife back on earth, and the time the Pastor spends with the peace-loving, blob-like aliens. The novel is serious but humourous. Many of the topics under discussion are quite deep but approached in a way that makes them accessible and less complex. The book is about love and faith. Faber wrote it whilst his wife was dying so that obviously affected his state of mind. However, it's not a sad or depressing novel. In fact, the best way I could describe it would be "heartwarming".

Write 200 words on a topic of your choice. Leave a comment on my blog & on the blogs of at least 3 classmates.

12 comments:

  1. It´s great when you find a book you enjoy,specially when it comes from a recommendation, to be quiet honest the book it´s not normally the topic I go for but it´s great you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sir Simon
    Sound like an interesting and original book
    And you read a lot, it would be entertaining to make a post about your favourite books!
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi teacher Simon
    you read a lot!that is wonderful!
    The book that you described in your post is interesting. I hope one day I can read too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi teacher!
    I found this book so interesting. I want to read it hahaha
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mr Simon
    That book seems super interesting, When does it publish???
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn´t know that book! is very interesting !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi teacher, It's fantastic how much you read, in a personal way, I like to read and enjoy it too, i love to read the book that you described some day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, read that much its super cool!! Even I think that kind of books are not my favourites, its sound very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you're such and bookaholic! hahahaha it sound like a very good story, definitely i will ask you for some good titles.
    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't usually read books, that's why I do not know many, in fact I've never heard of this, but it sounds very interesting ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! this book sound interesting, When I was more little I loved read book of Mistery ans thriller, My writter favourite is stephen King

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! it sounds great! maybe someday I will read it!

    ReplyDelete