Thursday, November 9, 2017

A Special Meal

Hi Blog Heads:

Today I'd like you to write about a special meal you remember. As I'm almost 100 years old, I've got lots of memorable meals to recall. A family food fight in Scotland, fish & chips on a bench by the sea in New Zealand with my wife and my brother surrounded by sea gulls, sitting on a mountain peak in the Pyrenees,  conveyer-belt sushi in Tokyo, or romantic meals with my wife. Anyway, I've decided to write about a childhood memory of going to an Indian restaurant in Chester on Christmas day when I was a child. All the family went, that's me my mum and dad and my 8 brothers and sisters. To tell the truth, I think Ged, my youngest brother hadn't been born so it would only have been 7 brothers (2) and sisters (5).
It's actually the first time I remember eating out with the whole family. I didn't know at the time, but I think my dad planed the meal so that my mum could enjoy Christmas day without having to spend the day in the kitchen cooking and washing dishes.
The restaurant was called the Bombay and it was about 3 blocks from our house. It's unusual for people to eat out on Christmas day, and more so when I was a child, The restaurant was virtually empty and the waiters made a big fuss of us. I think I'd only ever eaten take-away Indian food before and I'm sure my dad ordered something mild like chicken Korma (a mild coconut curry) for us all to share. I remember we had samosas (a type of Indian empanada) and poppadoms (a sort of crispy fried batter) as a starter. I'm pretty sure we had ice-cream for dessert. We took traditional Christmas crackers (a package shaped like a big, twisted, sweet wrapper that makes a loud bang when opened, and contains a little toy, a fortune message or joke and a paper crown) that you pull between 2 people until they burst open to reveal the contents and so the meal still had some traditional elements.
The main thing I remember about this occasion is that it was a really happy day.
Write about a special meal you remember.
Say:
Where and when it was,
What the meal was for,
Who you ate with,
What you ate,
Why you remember this meal.

                                         Internet picture of Christmas crackers

Write at least 250 words. Leave a comment on my blog and on the blogs of at least 3 classmates.

15 comments:

  1. Even knowing that you post a picture of you and your brothers in the past, I didn't realized till today that you have a lot of brothers. Regards Simon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mr Simon:
    I have listened that the indian food it's very seasoned, Is it truth?
    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would have been nice to see a photo of you and your siblings with the christmas crackers, considering how big is your family!!
    For me it was a really nice gesture from your father to your mother on christmas and a great time to spend time together as I read above.
    I guess I've never tried indian food in my life and I'm gonna ad it to my "to do list" in the future hehe
    Glad to read more of your experiences!
    Thank you for sharing! Have a nice weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ram Salaam Santa Isabel with Condell is a "picada", Rishkedar in Hollanda is, IMHO, one of the best Indian restaurants I've been to (although it's not cheap at 12 - 15 lucas per person without drinks.

      Delete
  4. The family food fight in Scotland must be a funny story, even more with 8 brothers!
    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha I don't reading good when I think you ate gulls hahaha.
    The story is so cute and also the photo. Now I want to taste the Indian food, it seems delicious.
    Regards dear teacher, see you next class :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you Simon for the remembers, the meal that ate when little is full remembers very great.

    regards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love that the tradicional foodin Chile would the chips and fish jajaj I love the fries food

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to taste Indian food, I had eaten that is delicious... And certainly what a cute familiar meal it's why I love Christmas day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful memories! Always thanks for sharing us all this experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simon!
    I have never gone out to eat out on a Christmas day, it must have been a happy experience.
    I have never tasted Indian food, I will try it someday.
    The photo made me laugh a lot.
    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi teacher, I think all your meals must be special and entertaining, because you have many brothers! I would like to have such a big family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Simon, nice story
    A family food fight? I can´t imagine it haha and a meal on a mountain peak in the Pyrenees must be amazing!
    Family memories are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sir!
    The memories with the family are the best<3
    I hope that you can share a family food fight again hahah
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  14. jajajaj I hope to stay in a food fight at least once in my life

    ReplyDelete