Thursday, September 7, 2017

A Concert or an Exhibition

Hi Blogsters,

So, with the strike officially over, I thought you could catch up on your blog writing. Please try to complete this post BEFORE our next class.

The concert I'm going to write about is when I saw Nina Simone. I first hear Nina in the late 70's. If I remember rightly, my younger brother played me a track called "My Baby Just Cares For Me" and it was love at first listen. A couple of years later, I borrowed a compilation tape from a library (Walworth Road, SE1) called Nina Simone and was hooked on the first listen and I became a big fan. She had an amazing vocal range that was full of passion and emotion, as well as being a classically trained pianist who played jazz and reggae and folk and blues.
The first time I had a ticket to see her the show was cancelled. Nina was booked to play a Jazz club in London every night for 2 weeks I had a ticket for the last night but she became ill and had to cancel. Luckily, 2 or 3 years later in 1988 Nina played the Dominion Theatre in London, and I was there. I went with my then girlfriend and 2 other people and we had great seats in the 3rd or 4th row. There was a very special atmosphere, I think many people realised that not only were we in the presence of a really talented musician but also a true "artiste". She had lost a little of her edge over the years but she still had a spark. I thing the songs I enjoyed the most were "Young, Gifted & Black" and "I want a little sugar in my bowl."
Nina is considered a musical legend who explored different styles and sounds to create amazingly truthful music and I was lucky to have the honour to see her live.

Write about a concert or exhibition you enjoyed.
Say:
Who or what it was,
What you knew about the event before you went,
Where you saw it,
Who you went with,
Why you enjoyed.

Mention anything else you think is important or interesting.
Write at least 250 words. Leave a post on my blog and on the blogs of at least 3 classmates.

Here are a couple of my favourite Nina songs:




13 comments:

  1. OH !I know her! that is so cool that you could see her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mr Simon
    I had never listen her music, but it's pleasant to listen.
    Regards!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi , she' s fantastic, the songs that I had listen of her I really liked very much. It's great to hear it live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi teacher,she was a fantastic singer!
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  6. Without doubt it must have been a great concert!
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Simon!
    Nina Simone was a fabulous singer, I liked too much!
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi teacher!
    I listen the songs and I find Nina was a great artist.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah! I like Nina too!! It should be wonderful could listen her live!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like her music, it's amazing that you got to see her live!
    Her voice and music are wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic Mr Simon! Nina Simone its very talented, I imagine that listening to it live must be incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi teache! the true I never listen Nina, but for comments I star to listen, it's great meet new singers and group.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you sound like a great fan, I think that I listened one or two songs of her but it's awesome that you went to a concert of this singer!

    ReplyDelete