Friday, October 20, 2017

A Chilean Building or Landmark

Hi there FAU Bloggers:

Today I'd like you to write about a Chilean building or a landmark that you like. I've opted for a landmark I visited last year, "the Marble Caves" on General Carrera Lake near Coyhaique. I went with my wife and her mum to celebrate my wife's birthday. Up until that point, the furthest South I'd travelled was Chiloe and I was really eager to see what the landscape was like.
Well, it was amazing, the area surrounding Coyhaique is beautiful and, for my taste, the most beautiful place of all was the Marble Caves. It's a 4 or 5 hour drive from Coyhaique to General Carrera Lake. A lot of the route is unpaved and also winding and bumpy. The boat tour to the caves departs from Puerto Tranquillo - a tiny village that is basically 2 shops, a petrol station and 5 or 6 little businesses offering boat trips to the caves. We were lucky with the weather, it was mid-September and the sit was really sunny with very little wind. However, once we got out on the lake it became quite cold. It took about 20 minutes or so to reach the caves. They were only us and another couple on the boat so we had plenty of time to look around and take photos. I guess summer would be a better time to visit because the water-line is lower and you can go further into the caves with the boat as more caverns are exposed. However, I think the bad thing about going in the summer would be the amount of boats. We only saw one other while we were out on the lake but I'm sure there would be dozens during the high season. It's hard to describe how beautiful the caves are because it has to do with both the experience and the environment. It was amazingly peaceful and quiet, just the sound of the water lapping against the boat and the rocks. A wonderful memory of a beautiful landmark:)


Write about a Chilean building or landmark you like.
Say:
Where it is,
When you visited it,
Who you went with,
What you did there,
Why you like it.

Mention anything else you thing is interesting. Write at least 250 words. Leave a comment on my blog and on the blogs of at least 3 classmates.

13 comments:

  1. oooh, I have listening a lot about that place and I really want to know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my pending places for visit, the caves look amazing, congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice way to celebrate a birthday! This place looks amazing! I really would like visit it someday

    ReplyDelete
  4. The south of chile has the best landscapes!!!
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm kind of jealous to see the photograph; a friend of mine from high school went there last summer and also posted photographs in facebook and instagram.
    BUT the description about how to get there actually inspired me to design a city for a comic.
    Greatly, another reason to save money and visit this place by myself someday.
    Thank you, Simon, for sharing your traveling experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi mrs simon, i hope some day to known that place, looks like a wonderful.
    regards

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like an amazing trip! my mother have been telling me about that place, marmol looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr Simon:
    ohh, it had to be an experience unforgettable and I hope some day to know that place and Aysén.
    Regards!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The marble caves are incredible and the water is very transparent.
    Aysén has many hidden secrets, I hope to get to know the northern part of the "carretera austral" in this holidays.
    Regars teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow wooow that's incredible! wonderful place. I hope visit one day.
    Regards dear teacher :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! That's nice!
    This place looks very beautiful*-*
    Regards sir^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is a very beautiful place, in this stage of the year I'm wishing to have the trips that you have hahahaha
    Regards Simon!

    ReplyDelete