Friday, October 13, 2017

Free Post: Something you feel passionate about

Hi Blogheads,

Something I feel passionate about is reading. I don't know how I "got the reading bug" but I've loved reading since I was very young. I guess my earliest memories are of going to the local library at age 7. It was amazing that you could borrow 5 or 6 books at a time and keep then for 3 weeks or even renew them if you need more time. So, I became an avid reader from the age of 7 or 8 years old, maybe what some people would call a "bookworm". I remember going to bed and using a torch to read under the covers. Eventually, when my parents found out they used to confiscate my torch and I remember I secretly bought a second torch so, if they caught me I had a back up.
As a child my favourite authors were Enid Blyton and Arthur Ransome. Enid Blyton wrote over 250 books and I must have read most of them, many 4 or 5 times. Later, at school I joined the book club and we had to read at least 4 books a month. As a teenager I got into Science Fiction and read 100's of Sci-Fi novels. Usually, if I like an author I read all their works. At different times in my life this has included: Tolkien, Franz Kafka, Dostoiefski. Jack Kerouac, Michael Moorcock, Frank Herbert, Ray Bradbury, Tricia Sullivan, Elmore Leonard, Herman Hesse, George Orwell, Mervyn Peake, Frank Herbet, Robert Heinlein. Phillip K Dick and lots of others I can't really remember now. Currently, my favourite modern authors are Haruki Murakami, David Mitchell and Margret Atwood.
I often read books more than once. For example, this year I read 1984 by Orwell for the 5th or 6th time. At the moment I'm finishing (& really enjoying) All Tomorrow's Parties by cyberpunk author William Gibson. Now I have to decide what to read next. Any suggestions?
Write about something you feel passionate about. Write about 250 words. Leave a comment on my blog & on the blogs of at least 3 classmates.

8 comments:

  1. Hello Mr Simon:
    I get impressed the quantity of book you have read, George Orwell I like it. sorry I don´t have any suggestion

    Regards!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That amount of books its so crazy! I will get note of some of them to put on my list. Well, I would recomend philip ball books to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also amazed by the amount of books you have read. I find books really interesting because you get to know a bit of the world of another person, who in a current time decided to share a message so important with the rest of the world.
    I wonder, do you write too? Besides the entry blogs we all do per week... For all I have read here, I'm sure you have adventures and messages to share to :)
    There's a lot of authors in your list that I must check again. It may sound like an excuse, but since I started architecture I left the habit of reading at least one book per month. I hope to get back to reading as passionately as I was in my teen years *-*
    Also, if you haven't read them yet, one series that I always recommend (even though it's a bit dark and cruel, but at the same time so intense and the timing to the story is well done) is the Millennium Saga of Stieg Larsson. The original saga has three books, but the author, who was a journalist (this fact greatly influenced the characters of the books) and started writing the series, died at an early age and couldn't finish the series (but leave notes for the following books that another author take care to continue his legacy). You can read a summary online and decide to give a try if you want, but this came to mind right now :)
    Best wishes, regards!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi teacher, you truly have a passion about read, i think that is wonderful the amount of books that you read, i hope some day read at that level.
    Regards !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I truly want to read the same amount of books that you do. 1984 is one of my fauvorites books in the world! If you like you could read Tinta Roja, is a book from a chilean writer and it talks about how a periodist get into his profession, is a very dark and cool one!
    regards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its very impressive how many books you have already read!
    Wow for a few years I've wanted to read a book by Murakami, which would you recommend me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi teacher, I think that it is very good to read a lot, you expand your knowledge as well as getting a better vocabulary. Personally I like to read but I think I dont have much time here in the University! I dont have any suggestions in matter of books but if you like sci-fi I would recomend you to watch "Mr. Robot".

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's very good that you read a lot, that makes you a smart and creative person... I hope that someday I read a lot like you, which book would you recommend me to make me fall in love of the books?

    ReplyDelete